Looking for an easy, yet showy side dish for your special event? This old Swiss recipe makes a super flavorful potato dish that goes with almost any meat dish. We add a modern twist by using our Monte-Bellaria Lavender Herb Salt to add a special dimension to the flavor. The fragrance while baking is out-of-this-world.
2 pounds Yellow (waxy) Potatoes
2 tsp Monte-Bellaria Lavender Herb Salt
½ cup Butter, Unsalted
1 cup Heavy Cream
½ pound Gruyere Cheese, Grated
1 tsp Monte-Bellaria Sonoma Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 2-1/2 quart casserole well (use one with a glass lid).
- Slice the potatoes (no need to peel) into ½ inch disks and stand them so that they arrange in a vertical orientation.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with Monte-Bellaria Lavender Herb Salt and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Dot the tops of the potatoes with small dabs of the butter.
- Pour the heavy cream over the mixture to coat. The top rims of the potatoes will be showing.
- Cover the casserole and bake at 375°, for 1 hour.
- Uncover the casserole and add the grated cheese.
- Return to oven and bake (uncovered) another 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are done and the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Drizzle the top with olive oil and serve hot.