An easy recipe for creating delicious sugar cookies with a lavender-citrus zing. Perfect for Christmas and the holidays. Dough can be made ahead of time and frozen until ready to bake.
1-1/2 cups Salted butter, melted
3 TBSP Monte-Bellaria Culinary Lavender buds
2/3 cups Shortening
2-1/2 cups Granulated white sugar
1/2 cup Light brown sugar
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tsp Orange extract
4-3/4 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
Garnish Purple baking sprinkles
- Microwave the butter for two minutes on high.
- Add the lavender buds and allow to steep for 20 minutes, until butter is just warm. Strain out the lavender buds leaving the lavender butter.
- Use a stand mixer to combine the lavender butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add the sugars to the mixer and cream for three minutes until smooth.
- Mix in the eggs and orange extract.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
- Cool the mixture for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Make tablespoon sized balls of dough and roll in baking sprinkles. [You can also spread the dough out on a flour dusted surface and cut shaped cookies.]
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet (about 20 cookies at a time.) The cookies will spread out so leave plenty of room between them.
- Bake at 375 °F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes for a crisp cookie.