Nothing beats a perfect little biscotti cookie to go with morning coffee. “Bis cotti” in Italian translates roughly to secondary bake, which describes this easy recipe perfectly. Often these little cookies are made with almonds and or amaretto, but this bake uses a savory lavender flavor.
1/2 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
1 TBSP Monte-Bellaria Culinary Lavender Buds
3 cups Unbleached All-purpose Flour
1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup White Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Large Eggs
1. Microwave the vegetable oil in a glass measuring cup for 30 seconds on high setting.
2. Add the Monte-Bellaria Culinary Lavender buds to the hot oil and let steep for 20 minutes.
3. Strain the lavender buds out using a fine mesh stainless steel strainer. Retain the oil.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with silpat™ silicon baking mat (or coat the baking sheet with oil.)
5. Beat together the lavender oil, sugar and eggs until smooth.
6. Add the flours, baking powder and salt and mix until a heavy dough forms.
7. Kneed by hand on a non-stick cutting board for another minute.
8. Divide the dough into two loaves and transfer to the lined baking sheet. Draw out the loaves until they are just short of the full length of the baking sheet. They should be at least 6 inches apart on the sheet.
9. Bake at 350°F, for 25 minutes. Loaves will still be pale to slightly browned in color.
10. Let the loaves sit on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
11. Carefully transfer the loaves, one-by-one, to the non-stick cutting board and cut diagonally across the loaves to form 18, 3/4 inch cookies.
12. Return the cookies (18 at a time) to the baking sheet and bake each side for another 10 minutes at 350°F until lightly browned. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
13. Cool on a rack for at least a half hour.
Using a sharp knife will prevent crumbling when you cut the loaves into cookies.